Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Clay Dragons and Paper Castles







I love making these clay dragons each year with third grade. This year after we made them I saw on Pinterest Deep Space Sparkle’s paper castles here: (http://www.deepspacesparkle.com/2012/01/fairy-tale-castles-art-project/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+DeepSpaceSparkle+%28Deep+Space+Sparkle%29&utm_content=Google+Reader) and thought 3-D castles would look so neat displayed with the dragons in this same style.
The kids LOOOOOOOOOOOOVED making these. I had no idea what a hit it would be! Can we add a trap door? Can we add a princess looking out the window? Can we make the drawbridge open and close? Yes! Yes! Yes! Here the dragons are guarding (or about to destroy) the castles in the library.

2 comments:

  1. Jenny! These are great! I wish I had the guts to go 3-D with the castle. So much fun...and the combo with the dragons. Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Thank you so much for sharing this project. I think I want to tackle this with my students this year, since they will be studying the Middle Ages. I notice that the details of the castle are done on black paper, but is the castle itself supported by a structure? For instance, is it built around a box? If not, what holds it up?

    Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete